Notes from my Oberengadin 2009 holiday:
- Samedan is a good deal less exciting than it used to be: passenger trains don’t do much shunting any more, and in normal service only the first island platform is used (tracks 2 and 3).
- Track 1 is only used as a through line for shunting.
- Track 2 is used by Chur-St Moritz services (re1) in both directions, and track 3 by Scuol-Pontresina services (R7) in both directions.
- Track 4 is used for the through Bernina Express and for various morning and evening trains that start/end at Samedan.
- There is shunting of wagons going on in the yard practically all day, with at least four pairs of goods trains a day over the Albula line.